Monday 9 March 2009

Parkinson's Law

Apparently this chap called Parkinson came up with the theory that work expands to fill the time available. This may well be true, I was always busy when I was at work. Most of my colleagues were also always busy, even if I thought they sometimes some of them were inventing things to do in order to look busy. ( I never did that of course!)

(Parkinson also observed that bureaucracy always expands, and predicted in about 1958 that one day there would be more Admirals than Ships in the Navy, and apparently that is now the case, with 41 Admirals and only 40 ships.)

Now I've retired I am quite happy to set myself just one task a day, and if it doesn't take all day to do then I can then relax, content in the knowledge I have done what I had planned for the day. I would like it to get warmer though as I have one or two outdoor jobs I want to do, such as repairing the leak in the garden pond so it will fill up and stay full (except when the seagull starts splashing about in it) Why can't he use the sea?

No comments:

Post a Comment