Friday 8 April 2016

Specsavers (again)

I posted a blog about Specsavers Opticians a few years back (January 2012) but it seems they haven't changed their rather confusing pricing structure. I went in for my biennial eye test today and decided to see how much the new glasses would cost. There are still a bewildering range of options. I only have 'O' Level and HNC Maths so I found it hard to comprehend.

I need a pair of varifocals for driving, so I can clearly see the road and the speedometer at same time. Also for watching the TV or at the Theatre. Normal reading glasses are essential for close up or computer use.

I could have a pair of Varifocals from the 'buy one get one free' offer on the £69 pound range of frames for £267 (That's £69 for the frame plus the cost of the 'Elite' lenses with scratch resist coat and 'reactorlite' feature). For this price I get one pair of varifocals and one pair of reading glasses for my £267. 'Elite' lenses are apparently better (and more expensive) than the 'Premium' ones I have now which I don't find particularly good.

Or I can have just the varifocals as above from the £69 pound range and not have the second free pair and this only costs £200. So by not having the free pair I save £67. Which leads me to assume that the 'free' pair costs £67!

I asked for an explanation and was advised that there was a 25% off offer on any pair in the £69 or more ranges. The small print on the back of the offer says this only applies if you buy one pair, and does not apply if you buy two on the 'buy one get one free' offer! Soo to save money I could have the one £69 pair of varifocals with 25% off and a full price pair of reading glasses from the £25 range for £225.

Or I could have the elite varifocal with ultra clear vision but no reactorlight and a pair of readers for £218 (that's the 2 for 1 offer on the £69 range again) or just the one pair varifocals with no reactorlight from the £69 range for £163.50.(with the 25% off). AND then buy a pair of £25 reading glasses.

The bus comes at 11:20 and if I miss it I have to wait until 12:35 for the next one. It's now 11:05 and my brain hurts. I have to walk to the bus station so I decided to leave without ordering anything until I have more time to work out which option I really need. I may take my prescription elsewhere to see if they have anything better to offer. Does anyone else have this problem buying Spectacles or is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment