Tuesday 4 January 2011

Rip Off Company of the Year

You may have seen earlier blogs regarding companies who I think are taking liberties and overcharging for goods and services.

It occurred to me that I should decide who is the worst culprit to get the title "Rip off of the year 2010". The short list consists of:

The Hopping Hare, Northampton - £5.45 for a glass of wine (which I have to fetch from the bar myself, I might add)

Exeter Airport for their revised short term parking charges - 11 minutes now costs £2.00 in the short stay.

Admiral Insurance, quoting £740 for a renewal when they can actually do it for £600 if you ask.

Cheltenham and Gloucester for offering a top up of my ISA paying 0.05% interest and neglecting to inform me they are offering ISAs to new customers at 2.5% and 3.5% .

And finally, sneaking in on December 31st, just before the VAT increase, is roadchef at Strensham services on the M5 in Worcestershire. They had the nerve to charge 80pence for a standard size Mars bar and 80p for a four finger kit kat (not even a chunky one).
I know they have to open 24 hours a day but the foot fall during the day is huge and most give them healthy profits at these prices. I now remember why I rarely buy anything at Motorway service areas. If I'd bought the items at Sainsburies where I got the petrol, I'd have got two of each for that price.

For that reason roadchef have won Bob's 2010 award "Rip off Company of the year" and little chance of further custom from me.

I must also try to cure the chocolate craving, or plan ahead by having some in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment